I got the idea of this recipe when we dined in at Ms Clawdy several months ago, this Braised Beef Ribs in Bourbon Barbecue Sauce is so tender and delicious its so addictive.
- 2 kg beef short ribs
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup dry red wine (Cabernet Sauvignon)
- 1 cup bourbon
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 celery stick, roughly chopped
- 2 pcs bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- freshly ground pepper
- Generously rub salt and pepper on your short ribs. Set it aside.
- In a large Dutch oven add a small amount of oil then sear short ribs on all sides in high heat. Remove short ribs from skillet.
- In the same Dutch oven add oil if needed, place heat on medium then sauté onions, carrots and celery.
- Add tomato paste and cook for a minute until fragrant.
- Add wine and bourbon then let it boil until reduced in half.
- Add the beef stock, bay leaves, thyme and the seared beef, bring to a boil. Cover Dutch oven then place in a 140C preheated oven and cook for 1 1/2 hours.
- Check liquid level, add small amount of water if necessary. Add the barbecue sauce and remove the bay leaves and carrots. Cook for 1 more hour or until beef is fork tender.
- Remove Dutch oven let it cool then separate the meat with the sauce. Place Dutch oven on the stove top and further reduce sauce if needed. Pour sauce over the top of the ribs then serve.