Chicken and Gnocchi Soup
Chicken and Gnocchi Soup is a creamy chicken soup which contains chicken pieces, gnocchi, carrots and spinach leaves. I heard it is a popular menu item in Olive Garden but never had tried them when I visited US a couple of years ago. We dined-in one time in their Brea Branch and we really enjoyed their food but never had ordered this, having said that several years later I saw food bloggers making their own versions of this soup. After reading several of them and understanding the components that makes this dish I was convinced that I should try them as I love creamy savoury dishes as a result I made my own and here is my recipe.
So how was it? I think it was a success because I liked, for me it tasted like the Filipino sopas but a little heavier, so sopas lovers would definitely like this. One thing I am not sure though whether it tasted like the real stuff, hopefully someone out who tasted the Olive garden version tries this one and let us know how it compares.
- 500 g fresh gnocchi
- 300 g chicken thigh cutlets, cubed
- 1 carrot, grated
- 50-70 g baby spinach leaves
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup cream
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup celery, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp flour
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp butter
- olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 small rosemary sprigs
- juice from 1 lemon
- Combine marinade ingredients and chicken together in a non-reactive mixing bowl, let it marinate for at least 2 hours.
- Cook gnocchi according to packet instructions.
- In a pot add oil then cook chicken pieces for 8-10 minutes. Remove the chicken pieces then set aside.
- Add the butter, onion, celery and garlic, cook until onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the flour and cook for a minute then add the milk, cream, chicken stock, nutmeg while continuously mixing then simmer until thickened.
- Add chicken and carrots then simmer in very low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the cooked gnocchi, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, turn heat off then add the baby spinach. Serve immediately.