This Peach and Apricot Muffin with Custard Filling is not your average #muffin as it has surprises in store for every bite you dig in like its custard filling and crunchy topping.
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 65g butter, softened
- 1/2 cup caster sugar + some for topping
- 2 eggs
- 1 large can peach slices, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 small tub apricot yoghurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp zest of lemon
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Make your custard by beating the egg yolks in a bowl, then add milk gradually until well blended.
- Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan then gradually add in the milk mixture. Mix well and make sure it is free of lumps.
- Place saucepan in medium-low heat and cook sauce while stirring constantly until mixture thickens. This will take around 20 minutes.
- Turn heat off then add the vanilla, let it cool and stir it once in a while until its near room temperature. Once cooled down place in the refrigerator for an hour.
- In a large bowl beat butter and caster sugar together until fluffy.
- Add eggs, vanilla, sour cream and yoghurt.
- Stir lemon zest and peaches.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt then stir mixture gently with the butter egg mixture to combine. Set it aside.
- Combine all crusty toppings together and mix until it resemble coarse crumbs. Set it aside.
- Place into a greased muffin pan then top with crusty topping.
- Bake in a 180C preheated oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place custard in a piping bag or a squeezable bottle, insert head of piping bag on the top side part of the muffin and fill it with roughly 1 1/2 tbsp of custard, let it cool then serve.