Pulled Pork Taco
Pulled pork tacos is a combination of two dishes, the pulled pork and the carnitas. Carnitas is traditionally cooked by braising pork in in oil or lard but instead of using that method in this recipe we will be braising the pork the pulled pork way where it is slow cooked in fruit juice. If you notice before I cooked some pulled pork already but I was using root beer and barbecue sauce on that one, now we will prepare something lighter in taste as soft tacos is a thinner bread and we don’t want it to overpower the whole dish.
Making this one needs a lot of patience as it can take several hours to render the pork very tender and easily pulled apart. Once you survived that wait time you can start to enjoy bliss and start scooping out that goodness into soft warm tacos waiting for you to be devoured.
I never thought of making this before but when we dined in one day at this Cajun restaurant in Auckland, this was one on the menu, after I ordered and tasted one I told myself I got to do this at home and here is the result.
- 800 g pork shoulder, cubed (get the fatty one)
- 1½ cups chicken stock
- 1½ cup orange juice
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large mangoes, cubed
- ½ head lettuce, sliced
- chopped cilantro
- corn tortillas
- In a pot heat oil and sauté garlic and onions.
- Add pork and brown on all sides.
- Remove everything from the pot and transfer it in a slow cooker, pour chicken stock, soy sauce and orange juice then cook for 6 hours.
- Remove from slow cooker and place on a pot, then cook until liquid is in a very thick consistency or nearly dried, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Use fork to loosen meat into threads.
- Prepare your corn tortillas by heating them on a skillet over medium heat.
- Spread some mayonnaise on the tortilla, place chopped lettuce, pulled pork, chopped mangoes and cilantro on top.