This Fish in Black Bean Sauce is so good you will need several bowls of rice, a very simple recipe of pan fried fish and tofu served in salty black bean sauce
- 500g fish fillet, cut into medium sized cubes (any fleshy fish would do)
- 12 pcs small blocks fried tofu
- 1 large green capsicum / bell pepper, sliced
- 2 tbsp salted black beans
- 2 tbsp black bean sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 thumb sized ginger, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- fish sauce or sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Place cornstarch in a plate then dredge the fish pieces on it until it’s lightly coated.
- Heat up oil in a wok and shallow fry fish quickly on each side until it becomes golden brown, it will take around 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- In the same wok where fish is fried sauté garlic, shallot and ginger.
- Add green capsicum then stir fry for a minute. Then add fish and tofu.
- Add water, black bean sauce, soy sauce, sugar and black beans bring to a boil, turn fish once and simmer for 5 minutes until the sauce becomes thick. If the sauce is thin you can add a bit of cornstarch slurry to thicken it.
- Flavour with fish sauce and season with freshly ground black pepper.