This Fish in Black Bean Sauce is so good you will need several bowls of rice, a very simple recipe of pan fried fish and tofu served in salty black bean sauce
- 500g fish fillet, cut into medium sized cubes (any fleshy fish would do)
- 12 pcs small blocks fried tofu
- 1 large green capsicum / bell pepper, sliced
- 2 tbsp salted black beans
- 2 tbsp black bean sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 thumb sized ginger, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- fish sauce or sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Place cornstarch in a plate then dredge the fish pieces on it until it’s lightly coated.
- Heat up oil in a wok and shallow fry fish quickly on each side until it becomes golden brown, it will take around 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- In the same wok where fish is fried sauté garlic, shallot and ginger.
- Add green capsicum then stir fry for a minute. Then add fish and tofu.
- Add water, black bean sauce, soy sauce, sugar and black beans bring to a boil, turn fish once and simmer for 5 minutes until the sauce becomes thick. If the sauce is thin you can add a bit of cornstarch slurry to thicken it.
- Flavour with fish sauce and season with freshly ground black pepper.
Wow Raymund, I have not had this kind of dish for a while…looks delicious…and I love blackbean. I just need a big bowl of rice to go with all the sauce…yum!
Hope you are enjoying your week 😀
Gorgeous photo! I love anything (swimming) in black bean sauce.
Lovin it with steamed fish too bam, especially when you can access high end live mouse grouper or pomfret,
my mom used to prepare this kind of deep fried in black bean sauce with cheaper fresh water fish….
but i guess i craving all of that version, lol
I really do love those black beans. And anything with fish is a keeper. Yum!
That looks amazing.
My son LOVES tofu with this sauce. I’m actually about to go downstairs and heat up the leftover dish from our favorite Chinese restaurant… the dish doesn’t include fish, but good to know we can add. He’s crazy about the dish that he orders every single visit… Thank you for the recipe. I’ll try with the fish!
What do you do with the shallots?
Its sauteed together with garlic and ginger in step 3
Do you minced or sliced the shallots?
IT will be minced, updated the recipe to reflect.
The instructions say add sugar but doesn’t say how much, does anybody know how much to add?
Apologies for the late reply, just came from a holiday and just read this one. Anyways I adjusted the recipe to reflect the quantity. Thanks for your support!
Do you crush the salted black bean or leave it whole? What kind of soy sauce do you use?
I just roughly smash them. And for the soy sauce I use this one http://amzn.to/2xxRPol if you cant find that Kikoman is nearly similar
i cooked this recipe today, yum! so good
Nice! Thanks for trying it out and letting us know.
Excellent. I used yellow squash since our family is not fond of green peppers and didn’t have tofu. It used catfish and it is nice and firm. Thanks!
What type of fish is best to use? Thank uou
Any white fleshy fish will do. Personally I love using monk fish or snapper