Nougat is a type of confectionary made out of sugar, honey, egg whites and nuts usually served shaped as a bar or a cube
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup almonds, shelled and toasted
- 1 cup pistachios, shelled and toasted
- Combine together sugar, corn syrup, honey, salt and water in a large saucepan and cook over low heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Once sugar dissolves let it boil then turn the heat off.
- Beat egg whites until it forms stiff peaks, set aside.
- Slowly add roughly 3/4 cup of the just boiled hot syrup into the egg whites while constantly beating for around 5 minutes or until it holds its shape.
- Continue to cook remaining syrup over high heat until it turns into a rich caramel colour.
- Pour this mixture with the beaten egg white mixture together with the nuts and vanilla, continue to beat until very thick.
- Spoon mixture into a wax paper lined baking pan and spread it evenly, let it cool then cut into cubes.