The mother of almost all rice dishes, Rice Pilaf! Briyani, Asian Fried Rice, Italian Risotto, Jambalaya, Chelow and Spanish Paella are all the descendants of the Rice Pilaf.
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 4 tbsp butter
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 cup peas
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- In a pan add butter and cook onions until soft in low heat.
- Bring heat to medium high then add rice then cook until it’s just lightly toasted.
- Add the chicken stock, saffron and paprika bring it to a boil then give it a mix scraping the bottom so they don’t burn. Turn heat to medium and cover pan and cook for 10 minutes. At this stage most of the liquid is already absorbed by the rice.
- Mix the rice then add carrot and peas, season with salt then simmer in very low heat for 5 to 7 minutes or until water dries out.
- Turn off heat then fluff the rice, serve while hot.