Chicken Tinola, the Pinoy version of the chicken soup and like any other chicken soups it gives you that comforting effect even the ill feels relieved.
- 1 kg free range chicken thighs and legs
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 2 medium sized chayote or 1 medium sized green papaya cubed
- 1 bunch spinach leaves, malunggay leaves or watercress
- 1 bunch finger chilli leaves or capsicum leaves
- 1 thumb sized ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- fish sauce or sea salt
- ground black pepper
- In a pot heat oil and sauté garlic, onions and ginger. Cook until onions are soft.
- Add chicken and stir fry for 2 minutes in high heat browning all sides.
- Add chicken stock, bring to a boil and simmer for 45 minutes, if you are not using free range 20 minutes would be enough.
- Add chayote or green papaya and simmer for additional 15 minutes
- Add chilli leaves and spinach leaves/malunggay, cover and simmer for 1 more minute.
- Season with fish sauce and freshly ground pepper.