Chicken Satay is a type of skewered marinated chicken meat served in thick sauce flavoured by coconut milk and peanuts.
- 800g chicken thigh fillets, cut into long strips 1 inch wide
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 3 tbsp peanut oil
- fish sauce, to taste
- 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp ginger paste
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- peanut oil
- bamboo skewers
- Combine garlic, cayenne pepper, ginger paste, turmeric, ground coriander, cumin, peanut oil, fish sauce and chicken in a bowl. Marinate for at least 1 hour.
- In a wok add peanut oil then sauté shallots, garlic and ginger. Cook until shallots caramelized.
- Add coconut milk, peanut butter, dark soy sauce, lemon juice, cayenne pepper. Mix well until it achieves an even consistency then simmer in low heat for 15 minutes. Remove from heat then set aside.
- Remove chicken from marinade, place in skewers then cook in a charcoal grill. Once side of chicken is browned turn to the other side and do the same. Turn only once, this will make sure chicken is still tender and not dry.
- Serve with warm peanut sauce.
For your bamboo skewers not to burn while grilling soak it first in water for at least two hours before using.