Beef Bourguignon or Beef Burgundy a traditional French stew made out of beef braised in red wine together with garlic, onions, carrots, bouquet garni, pearl onions and mushrooms.
- 1 kg stewing beef, cubed
- 1/2 cup bacon, cubed
- 500 g button mushrooms, sliced in half
- 3 cups red wine (preferably Burgundy)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tbsp brandy
- 4 carrots, cubed
- 1 bouquet garni (6 parsley stalks, 2 celery stalks, 1 bay leaf, 6 peppercorns, 3 thyme sprigs, placed inside muslin and tied)
- 3 tbsp flour
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 onions, chopped
- 12–15 pcs pearl onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tbsp butter
- olive oil
- In a heavy skillet add oil then brown beef pieces on all sides. Remove from skillet then set aside.
- Add the carrots and cook for 4 minutes. Remove from skillet then set aside.
- Add bacon and fry until light brown, add garlic and onions then sauté until onions are cooked.
- Add half of the butter, flour and stir until it forms a roux. Add wine, beef broth, brandy, tomato paste, beef and place bouquet garni on top bring to a boil then transfer to casserole.
- Bake for 2 hours at 150C preheated oven stirring occasionally and adding water as needed.
- Place the carrots in the casserole then continue to bake for 30 minutes.
- In a heavy pan add remaining butter then cook mushrooms and cocktail onions for 3 minutes. Add it into the casserole and give it a good mix. Continue to bake for 30 more minutes at 150C.
- Season with salt and pepper, remove bouquet garni before serving.