Trippa alla Romana is a dish made out of ox tripe cooked in Italian style tomato sauce
- 1 kg ox tripe, sliced into strips (cleaned well and pre-cooked)
- 2 400g cans chopped tomatoes in tomato sauce
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp rubbed basil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- freshly ground black pepper
- Pecorino Romano, grated
- Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
- olive oil
- In a large skillet add olive oil then sauté garlic and onions.
- Add tripe and lightly brown it in high heat for a 2-3 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes, rubbed basil, dried oregano, tomato paste and wine bring to a boil then simmer for 30-40 minutes or until tripe is tender.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper then top with Parmigiano-Reggiano and Pecorino Romano.
If your local butcher does not sell cleaned and pre-cooked tripe you can do this at home but it will be smelly so I suggest do it outdoors far from the neighbours windows. Cook tripe until tender using 1:8 vinegar and water mixture ratio, add some bay leaves to give it an aromatic smell.