Trippa alla Romana
Trippa alla Romana is a dish made out of ox tripe cooked in Italian style tomato sauce, it is one of the most famous dishes in Rome and it is a must try when you visit the place. I know it sounds disgusting to most of you but if you just entertain the idea and think of it as a pasta dish where instead of that long noodles tripe is used then it might sound different, they are cooked nearly the same anyways. One thing that the tripe is better than the noodle is that the sauce clings effectively on it due to its honeycomb texture which makes it really tasty.
I had some authentic ones when we had our vacation last year in Rome and it was delicious, the tomatoes really work well with the tripe giving it a robust flavour then a very generous serving of parmesan just topped it all up. For now we made some at home which I can say tasted like how I had it in Rome.
- 1 kg ox tripe, sliced into strips (cleaned well and pre-cooked)
- 2 400g cans chopped tomatoes in tomato sauce
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp rubbed basil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- freshly ground black pepper
- Pecorino Romano, grated
- Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
- olive oil
- In a large skillet add olive oil then sauté garlic and onions.
- Add tripe and lightly brown it in high heat for a 2-3 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes, rubbed basil, dried oregano, tomato paste and wine bring to a boil then simmer for 30-40 minutes or until tripe is tender.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper then top with Parmigiano-Reggiano and Pecorino Romano.
You can buy Pecorino Romano and Parmigiano-Reggiano in Amazon, here are some links:
- Imported Pecorino Romano – 3 Pounds
- Locatelli Pecorino Romano – 1 Pound
- Pecorino Romano by Zerto – Pound Cut (1 pound) by igourmet
- Parmigiano Reggiano
- Parmigiano Reggiano Top Grade – Pound Cut (1 pound) by igourmet
- Parmigiano Reggiano Stravecchio (3 Year Top Grade) – Pound Cut (1 pound) by igourmet