Spaghetti Meatballs, a classic Italian-American pasta dish served with meatballs in tomato sauce
- 700g minced beef
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 400 g cans chopped tomatoes
- 140 g tomato paste (small tub)
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 green capsicum (bell pepper), finely chopped
- 6 pcs bacon, chopped
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- half handful of basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp sugar
- freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil
- 500g spaghetti
- oil for frying
- parmesan cheese, grated
- In a large bowl, mix all meatball ingredients together. Once evenly mixed form into balls size of a golf ball. Set aside and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Add oil in a frying pan and shallow fry meatballs until surface turns brown. Set aside cooked meatballs.
- In a separate pan, add olive oil and bacon, cook until bacon is crispy.
- Add garlic and onions then sauté for a minute.
- Add capsicum and cook until it turns soft.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, red wine, oregano and sugar. Bring it to a boil then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the meatballs and basil and simmer for 5 more minutes. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Pour sauce over cooked spaghetti noodles then serve.
I think everyone loves spaghetti and meatballs. Your recipe sounds good with the bacon added to it for extra flavor.
Simple meatballs, robust tomato sauce ~ fabulous.
Hard to beat a good spaghetti and meatball dish. So flavorful and filling!
A dish to make happy both adults and children…
I like smaller meatballs too. I’ve had one of those giants and when I cut into it, it began to roll and I couldn’t imagine chasing it across the floor. This is a perfect comfort food dish.
This looks so comforting. Sure to please the whole family!
awesome.. that would be nice for lunch.