Dinoydoy a regional dish in the Philippines popular in the region of Ilocos made out of sautéed bitter melon and nearly pureed squash flavoured with bagoong and pork
- 1 large bitter melon, sliced
- half small butternut squash
- 200 g pork belly, thinly sliced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 size tomato, chopped
- fish sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- cooking oil
- In a wok sauté garlic and onions.
- Add pork and brown on all sides and crispy.
- Add tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and squash and cook for 15-20 minutes or until it starts to disintegrate.
- Add bitter melon then cook for 5 more minutes or until bitter melon is cooked.
- Season with fish sauce and freshly ground black pepper.
If you want to reduce the bitterness of the bitter melon, soak the sliced bitter melon in water with salt at least for 6 hours, replace in the water halfway. If you’re ready to use drain completely and press to extract excess water.