Pares is a Filipino street food viand composed of beef cooked in sweet soy sauce served with garlic fried rice and beef soup.
- 700 g Beef brisket, chopped into small strips or cubes
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 4–6 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 pcs star anise
- 2 pcs dried bay leaves
- 2 tbsp cornstarch, mixed in 4 tbsp water
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 red onion, minced
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- fish sauce
- fried garlic, to garnish
- In a pot add oil then sauté garlic and onions.
- Add beef pieces and brown on all sides.
- Add beef broth, soy sauce, brown sugar (adjust according to your liking, the dish is meant to be sweet), star anise, bay leaf, black pepper and cornstarch mixture. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 hr. or until the beef pieces are really tender up to a point it’s nearly falling apart.
- Season with fish sauce according to your liking.
- Top with fried garlic and pair it with garlic fried rice and clear beef soup.