Slowy Braised Beef Shanks in Preserved Lemons served with peas, a perfect hearty comfort meal for the cold summer nights
- 4 pcs beef shanks, 1 1/2 inch thick cuts
- 2 pcs preserved lemons skin, thinly sliced
- 300 g green peas
- 2 stalks parsley, chopped
- 2 stalks coriander, chopped
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 tbsp flour
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a bowl add parsley, coriander, onions, garlic, ginger, around 3 tbsp oil, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper.
- Now pour the mixture in beef shanks making sure it’s evenly coated, place in an airtight covered container and marinate for at least 24 hrs.
- Drain the beef and reserve the marinade. In a heavy pan add 1 tbsp oil then brown beef on all sides.
- In a pot add 2 tbsp olive oil and flour, cook flour until it forms something like a roux then then gently pour in the stock while mixing. Once consistency is even add the reserved marinade and the beef shanks. Bring to a boil then simmer in low heat for 1.5 hour.
- Add the preserved lemons then continue to simmer for 15 more minutes.
- Add peas and simmer for additional 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then garnish with thinly sliced lemon zest.