Cebu Style Steamed Rice is a twice cooked rice where its stir fried and steamed then topped with a starchy pork and prawn sauce.
- 500 g kg pork shoulder, thinly sliced
- 15 pcs prawns, shelled
- 3/4 cup Green Peas, fresh or frozen
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- 2 tbsp Tapioca starch
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup corn flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
Egg Fried Rice
- 6 cups cooked rice
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp oil
- Tenderize pork pieces using the back of a cleaver, place in a container together with baking powder and some salt, let it marinate for 15 minutes.
- Place corn flour in plate then lightly coat the pork pieces.
- Prepare a wok, add enough oil for deep frying then once its hot deep fry pork pieces in medium heat for 2 minutes or just until golden brown.
- In a separate wok add oil then sauté garlic, ginger and shallots.
- Bring heat to high then add the Chinese cooking wine, soy sauce and chicken stock. Bring to a boil then add the pork, continue to boil for 5 minutes.
- Combine and mix well water and tapioca starch.
- Still in high heat add the prawns, green peas and tapioca starch slurry, continue to boil for 3 minutes or until sauce becomes thick. (You can adjust the thickness of the sauce to your liking by adding more tapioca starch or more water).
- Turn heat off then add the sesame oil, season with salt.
- Prepare your egg fried rice, Using a wok heat up oil until it nearly reaches its smoking point. Add rice and salt and stir fry for a minute.
- Make a well in the middle of the wok then pour in beaten eggs, once cooked mix in together with the rice.
- Remove from heat then set aside.
- Place egg fried rice on bowls, then press it firmly to the bottom.
- Top it with the cooked meat mixture, place on a steamer and steam in high heat for 7-10 minutes.
- Remove from steamer then serve immediately.