Beef and Mixed Mushrooms Ragout is a pasta dish served with fork tender beef slowly cooked in tomato sauce and red wine reduction
- 500 g fettuccine, cooked according to instructions
- 1 kg meaty beef ribs, cut into cubes
- 150 g bacon, chopped
- 50 g dried Chanterelle mushrooms, rehydrated and sliced
- around 15 pcs farmers’ brown mushrooms
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil
- grated parmesan cheese
- In a pot add olive oil and bacon, cook in medium heat until bacon become crispy. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the garlic and onions then cook until onions caramelizes.
- Add the beef then brown on all sides.
- Add red wine, chopped tomatoes, beef stock, oregano, basil and cooked bacon. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to very low and simmer for 45 minutes. Check occasionally and add water if needed.
- Add chanterelle mushroom and tomato paste then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add farmers brown mushroom then simmer for 10 more minutes.
- At this stage meat is fork tender and bones will be easily separated from the meat, separate bones from meat using a fork then further separate meat into small bite size portions.
- Bring heat to high and reduce liquid to thick consistency, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Turn off heat then serve in top of fettuccine.
- Generously sprinkle grated parmesan cheese on top.