This is my mom’s version of Chicken Ala King, it is the recipe I grew up and it only contains chicken, mushroom and loads of capsicum, serve it with voul au vents to make a perfect dinner
Chicken ala King
- 700 g chicken thigh meat, cubed
- 250 g button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large red capsicum, seeded and chopped
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3 tbsp dry sherry
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- freshly ground black pepper
- chopped parsley, to garnish
- 3 sheets frozen puff pastry, each sheet cut into 4 squares
- 1 large egg, beaten
Chicken ala King
- In a pot melt half of the butter then add the chicken pieces, once browned using a slotted spoon remove from chicken from pot then set aside.
- Using the same pot sauté onion and garlic.
- Add the remaining butter then stir in the flour to form a roux, once evenly mixed add chicken stock and milk, then bring to a light boil while continuously stirring. If sauce is too thick for your liking add milk to achieve the consistency you want.
- Add the chicken, mushroom, capsicum, nutmeg and sherry then gently simmer for 8 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place 3 spoonful of chicken ala king on top of voul-au-vents.
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Combine two cut pastries on top of each other then place in a greased baking tray.
- Brush pastry with beaten eggs.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, you will notice the middle part is the puffiest area, it will be hollow inside. Using a sharp serrated knife, cut a circle in that area and push it to the bottom, now you have a cavity where you can place your chicken ala king.