Pork and Prawn Balls in Aromatic Broth is a dish I adapted from Gordon Ramsay, its a soup dish of pork and prawn balls served in a beef broth infused with Asian flavours.
Pork and Prawn Balls
- 250 g raw prawns, peeled, deveined and finely chopped
- 750 g minced pork (30% fat content)
- 2 tbsp finely chopped chives
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- oil for frying
- 8 cups beef stock
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 2 cm piece ginger, sliced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, sliced
- 75–100 g baby spinach leaves
- 2 stalks spring onions, sliced
- fish sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a bowl mix all Pork and Prawn Ball ingredients apart from the oil. Once it’s blended really well shape them into golf ball sized meatballs.
- In a frying pan add oil then shallow fry meat balls until brown on all sides, set aside. Drain oil into a separate container then pour a bit of water into the pan while still hot to melt the residue left from frying the balls, reserve this liquid this add more flavour to the broth.
- In a pot combine all Aromatic Broth ingredients and the liquid from the residue then bring it to a boil, lower heat to simmer then gently place the meatballs into the broth. Gently simmer for 10 minutes then turn heat off.
- Add spinach and spring onions, cover pot to cook vegetables with residual heat.
- Season with fish sauce and freshly ground black pepper, serve in soup bowls with rice on the side.