Bulalo Steak are twice cooked beef shanks first boiled then grilled then served on a sizzling plate with mushroom gravy and loads of crispy fried garlic.
- 3–4 pcs beef shanks
- 1 head garlic, pounded with skin on
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 1 tbsp peppercorns
- 2 tsp rubbed parsley
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 cup reduced beef stock (from boiling the shanks)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tsp mushroom powder (you can also use dried shiitake and grind it on a coffee grinder)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp onion powder
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cups white button mushrooms, sliced
- fried onions
- In a pot place all bulalo ingredients, pour enough water to barely cover all ingredients. Bring it to a boil then simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. or until beef is tender. Remove from pot then set it aside.
- Continue boiling the stock until reduced, drain using a muslin cloth to remove non liquid ingredients then set it aside.
- In a pan add 2 tbsp butter and cook mushrooms, remove from pan then set aside.
- Using the same pan add 3 tbsp butter and garlic, stir for a minute then add mushroom powder, stir again for a minute.
- Add flour to the pan then mix roux.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, reduced beef stock and onion powder. Cook until sauce thickens then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place a sizzling plate on stove top with heat on high. While waiting the plate to become hot, brush shanks with small amount of oil. Place shanks on the sizzling plate then leave it for 3-4 minutes then turn it on the other side. Add mushrooms on top then pour gravy on top. Then serve while sizzling hot.
Another one to try! Looks stunning!
Thanks for sharing this recipe. Your Bulalo Steak looks so appetizing, I’m salivating right now.
This looks warm and comforting. Buttery mushrooms go so well with a meat dish. Delicious!
This looks very delicious. Wow, I cannot even describe how hungry this food makes me.
A new and delicious looking dish Raymund! Quite different than I’m use to, but I’d still love this, I’m sure.
A heavenly dish for bone marrow lovers.
This looks so delicious with the bone marrow, gaby and mushrooms. I love dishes that come sizzling to the table.
We tried this recipe, it was delish! Just added buttered corn and carrots for the sidings and java rice. We all loved it, including the kids!
Thanks for trying it out