Youtiao, Chinese Cruller or Chinese doughnut are two long bread sticks attached together made up of flour deep fried in vegetable oil.
- Combine all yeast starter in a mixing bowl then place in a warm location, leave it for 15 minutes or until it gets foamy.
- Sift dough ingredients together except the water into a separate mixing bowl.
- Pour the yeast starter together with the water then knead the dough until smooth roughly around 5 minutes.
- Place in a dusted bowl then set it aside for 30 minutes. Remove from bowl then lightly knead for 2 more minutes.
- Place back in the dusted bowl, cover it tightly with cling wrap then leave it in a warm location for 2 hours.
- Turn the dough to the floured board then roll the dough to form a long rectangle (4 in x 24 in x .5 in).
- Cut the shaped dough into 1/2 inch strips, then place two strips together one on top of each other. Do it with the remaining dough.
- Prepare a wok filled with oil for deep frying, once hot enough get a joined strip, lightly press then stretch to desired length. Gently lower into the hot oil then deep fry until they turn golden brown and puffy. You will notice as it cooks the dough will increase in size tremendously.