Chicken Empanada usually contains minced or chopped beef or chicken, potatoes, onions, raisins, green peas and wrapped in semi-sweet dough.
- 4 pcs large chicken thigh fillets, chopped into small cubes
- 1 large potato, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 white onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- freshly ground black pepper
Pastry Home Made
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 6 tbsp cold water
- 225g butter, sliced into small cubes then chilled
- 2 tbsp full cream milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 5 sheets large short crust pastry
- In a pan add oil then sauté garlic and onions.
- Add chicken then continue to stir fry in high heat until lightly brown.
- Lower heat to medium then add potatoes, carrots, soy sauce, chicken stock, salt and freshly ground black pepper continue to stir fry for 5 minutes.
- Add raisins, green peas and sugar continue to stir fry for 5 more minutes or until it runs dry.
- Remove from pan, set it aside and let it cool.
Pastry Home Made
- In a mixing bowl sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a food processor combine together sifted flour and butter, slowly process by pulsing in short bursts while gradually adding water. Once it resembles coarse grains stop and place it in a large bowl.
- Continue processing it by hand by combining this coarse grains to form a one whole dough. Pinch a small ball shaped piece and do it with remaining dough.
- Using a rolling pin flatten each small balls like a small pizza, stack them together with wax paper in between then chill until you are ready to use them.
- Cut each sheet into 4 square pieces then further cut into circles until the edges of the square. Stack them together with wax paper in between. Reserve the trimmings.
- Gather all trimming then combine them together, once it forms into a large single dough pinch a small ball shaped piece, set it aside then and do it with the remaining dough.
- Using a rolling pin flatten each small balls like a small pizza, stack them together with the previous ones then chill until you are ready to use them.
- Remove pastry from the fridge then place one in a clean non-stick surface, scoop out a heaping tablespoon of the chicken mixture then place it in the middle of the pastry. Fold the dough to form a half moon shape then press the edges with fork to seal. Do these for the remaining dough then place on a lightly greased baking tray.
- Mix egg wash ingredients together then brush it on the pastry.
- Bake in a 200C preheated oven for 20 – 25 minutes or until colour turns golden brown
- Place in a wire rack to cool then serve.