Tandoori Chicken is a very popular Indian roasted hot and spicy chicken dish that is marinated in yoghurt and lots of different spices.
- 8–10 pcs chicken legs, scored
- 6 tbsp ghee
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- juice from 2 lemons
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp cayenne, adjust this one to your liking
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp annatto powder, optional (this naturally gives it a bright red orange colour)
- In a bowl mix together all marinade ingredients.
- Place chicken pieces on a bowl then pour marinade over it, rub apply the marinade generously specially the scored areas. Cover the bowl and let it marinate for at least 8 hours.
- Remove chicken from the fridge hours before cooking, it needs to be in room temperature before grilling. Carefully place chicken together with lumps of marinade in a wire rack placed on top of a dripping pan.
- Set your oven to grill (fan forced will be better) then grill on the top most level at 230C for 15 minutes. Remove the chicken from the oven, turn it to the other side then baste generously with ghee, place back in the oven and grill for 15 more minutes.