Pork Afritada is simplest Filipino style tomato based stew, it is usually made out of pork, potato and carrots cooked slowly on tomato sauce with herbs and spices.
- 1 kg pork shoulder
- 1 large potato, cubed
- 1 large carrot, cubed
- 1 large red capsicum (bell pepper), cubed
- 200 g brown mushrooms
- 400 g tomato puree
- 2 1/2 cups pork stock
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 pcs bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried sweet basil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- fish sauce or sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a pot add oil then sauté the garlic and onions.
- Add the pork and brown all sides.
- Add half of the tomato puree, pork stock and bay leaves, simmer for 35 minutes.
- Add the carrots then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, mushrooms, tomato paste and remaining tomato puree simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the capsicum, season with fish sauce/sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve.