Chicken Mami is one of the popular Hawker and comfort food in the Philippines, it’s similar to Hotdogs on America, Char kway teow in Malaysia and Meat pies in New Zealand.
- 3 kg chicken bones (mixture of thighs and legs)
- 3 pcs large chicken thighs
- 1 large carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp peppercorns
- 1 large stalk celery, roughly chopped
- 2 large onion
- 4 thin slices of ginger
- 3 tbsp toasted onions
- 3 tbsp toasted garlic
- 250g fresh egg noodles
- toasted garlic
- spring onions, chopped
- hard boiled eggs, cut in half
- freshly ground black pepper
- fish sauce
- Cut the chicken thigh bones and leg bones in two, exposing the bone marrow. Now place all the chicken stock ingredients all in one pot. Add enough water to cover the ingredients that’s roughly 2-3 litres. Bring to a boil and simmer in low heat for 45 minutes.
- Remove the chicken thighs but continue simmering the bones in low heat for 2 more hours or until the bones are soft. Debone and flake the cooked chicken and place the bones back into the simmering broth.
- Now using a fine sieve, separate the broth from the bones and transfer it on a separate pot. Once cooled down place on fridge this will make the top layer of fat hard and easy to remove. Now remove the top layer fat and place it on a separate container.
- Bring the stock to a boil and add no more than 2 tablespoons of fat that initially removed, further reduce liquid to get a rich stock then adjust taste by adding salt according you your liking.
- On a separate pot add water and bring to a boil, once rapidly boiling place the fresh egg noodles and cook it for 30 seconds. Remove from heat and place on a colander, run it on tap water so cooking process would stop.
- Place water again on the same pot and bring it to a boil, once boiling pour it on the colander with the noodles.
- Place noodles on individual bowls, put around 4 tbsp flaked chicken, 2 tbsp chopped spring onions, 2 halves of boiled eggs, 1 1/2 tsp toasted garlic on top then pour hot broth over.
- Season with freshly ground black pepper and juice from 1/2 lemon.