This fluffy soft inside texture and a crispy skin Baked Potato with Cheese Sauce and Bacon is one of the best comfort meals you can have, serve it with fried chicken and your’e in heaven.
- 3 large floury potatoes, roughly 150 g each (Russet, Agria or something similar)
- 1/2 cup tasty cheese + more for topping, grated
- 6–8 pieces streaky bacon
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven at 220C.
- Scrub clean the potatoes over a cold running water, prick multiple times with a fork around 1 inch deep then pat them dry with paper towel.
- Place in a baking pan and bake for 15 mins at 220C then lower the temperature for to 180C and bake for 1 more hour.
- In a non-stick pan, add a small amount of oil and fry the bacon until crispy, drain then set aside. You can also place the bacon inside the oven over an ovenproof plate then crisp it together with your potatoes, just check once in a while to see if it’s crispy already then remove it to cool down. I’ve done this but did not measured the time, I just kept on looking inside. Chop bacon to small pieces.
- On a sauce pan melt the butter then add the flour, cook until it forms a roux.
- Lower down the heat then slowly add the milk, mix well and stir until it starts to thicken.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper then add the grated cheese, stirring again until the cheese melts.
- Once potatoes are cooked, cut the top with an “X” mark then using a pot holder gently push the two sides inwards to mash the inside and pop out the spud on the “X” mark.
- Now top it with the cheese sauce, sprinkle with more grated cheese and bacon pieces.