Java Rice is not to be confused as Indonesian as this is a Filipino fried rice cooked in garlic and annatto seeds best paired with sweet style barbecues.
- 4 cups cold cooked rice, hand mashed to separate grains
- 2 tbsp annatto seeds
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a wok then add the annatto seeds, stir fry in medium heat until oil turns reddish orange in colour, roughly around 1 minute in medium heat. Remove and discard the annatto seeds leaving the oil on the wok.
- Add garlic and stir fry until lightly browned.
- Add the shallots and sauté until soft.
- Add rice then stir well, evenly distribute the oil while stir frying. Turn heat to high then cook for 5-7 minutes while occasionally stirring.