Lechon Kawali, twice cooked pork belly, first pressure cooked then deep fried to achieve a tender meat and crispy skin, it is then served with sweet liver sauce.
- Rub sea salt generously on pork belly then cover it tightly with a cling wrap and store in the refrigerator for at least a day.
- Rinse pork in running water making sure all salt has been cleared from the meat.
- Place pork in a pressure cooker together with the soy sauce, garlic, peppercorns, laurel leaves and lemonade soda. Now pour enough water just to cover the entire meat.
- Pressure cook for 20 to 30 minutes (Depending on the thickness of pork belly), your timing should start when the whistle starts to make sound.
- Once the pork is tender remove it from the pressure cooker and pat it dry with a paper towel.
- Now once the surface of the pork is dried place it in a covered container and refrigerate it for at least 12 hours or until it is cold.
- Prepare a wok filled with oil and heat it up, once hot place the pork carefully while cold into the hot oil, skin side down, be really careful as it will splatter.
- Deep fry the pork until golden brown, this won’t take really long and remember you just want to make the outside crisp; the inner part is already cooked.
- Once cooked, slice into thin pieces and serve with the lechon sauce.