Pininyahang Manok (Tagalog), Gang Ped Gai Sapparot (Thai), or Chicken with Pineapple is a dish made out of chicken that is marinated in pineapple juice then cooked together with pineapple and other vegetables such as capsicum, carrots and onions.
- 1 kg chicken legs and/or thighs
- 2 pcs red capsicum, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups pineapple chunks
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 thumb sized ginger, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 cup water
- fish sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- Marinate chicken pieces in 1/2 cup pineapple juice, salt and black pepper for at least 12 hours.
- Remove chicken from marinate then pat each chicken pieces dry.
- In a wok add oil and evenly brown chicken pieces, remove from wok then set aside
- Sauté ginger, garlic and onions, then add the chicken pieces. Stir fry for a minute then pour in the chicken stock, coconut milk and remaining pineapple. Bring to a boil then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the cornstarch mixture, pineapples and capsicum then simmer for 5 more minutes. Season with fish sauce and pepper.
You can replace coconut milk with equal amount of evaporated milk