Flemish stew or Carbonade Flamande is the national dish of Belgium, it is made out of beef and onions slowly stewed in dark Belgian beer which gives it a distinct sour and bitter taste.
- 1 kg stewing beef, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 2 pcs carrots, sliced
- 250g button mushrooms
- 330ml Dark Belgian Beer
- 1 cup Beef Stock
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 2 pcs bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a bowl, toss together beef, flour, salt, and pepper. Make sure beef is evenly coated with flour mixture.
- Prepare a heavy saucepan, add oil then brown beef on all sides. Remove beef from sauce pan then set aside.
- Add onions, garlic and brown sugar in the saucepan then cook until onions are soft, add oil if necessary.
- Place the beef back then pour in beer and beef stock, bring it to a boil.
- Reduce to simmering heat, then add the parsley, bay leaf and thyme, simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the carrots and mushrooms, simmer for 30 more minutes.
- Stir in the apple cider vinegar then season with salt and pepper. Turn heat off then serve.
must try your recipe
I must try your recipe. The stew looks very good. Thanks for the info re belgium national dish. very informative
I have some chuck roast in my freezer, perfect for this. Looks amazing!
Looks wonderful! Next time I make a stew, I will be sure to add beer!
The button mushrooms looks irresistible to digging in…..
btw, presenting a stew dish is not so easy Ray, you just nailed it my friend!
This looks delicious. Gorgeous pics. It’s like a more beer-y version of beef bourguignon. Anything with dark beer in it is my kind of dish. Lovely photos too!
Sounds delicious! I will trying this!
Your crystal clear photos makes me want to reach out for a bite!
This stew sounds delicious, Raymund! I just want to dig a big spoon in.
This sounds so delicious Raymund. I’ve never heard of Flemish Stew, but it sounds perfect for our cooler weather.
What a comforting stew; it looks delicious!
Reblogged this on chefsoundar.
Looks wonderfully comforting !