Dòushā Guō Bing is a type of a sweet non-leavened flatbread folded with oil and sweet red bean paste, it is a variant of the popular Cong You Bing (Minced Scallions Pancake). Though this Chinese bread is classified as a pancake it is made from dough instead of batter.
Red Bean Paste
- 1 1/2 cup red (adzuki) beans
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 cups high grade flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp Ghee + extra for brushing layers and frying
- 1 cup ice cold water
Red Bean Paste
- Place red beans in a pot and fill with enough water (beans should be 2 inch below the water surface). Bring to a boil and cook until soft, add water if necessary. Once its turns soft, mash it using a potato masher or a handheld food processor.
- Bring heat to low then add in the sugar and butter, mix well until totally dissolved.
- Add in flour and mix until it becomes a really thick paste, add water if necessary. Consistency should be something like a really firm mashed potato. Once evenly mixed turn off heat and let it cool.
- Sift flour and salt together.
- Place flour mixture in food processor and add ghee. Process until it looks like crumbles
- Remove from food processor and knead to make a dough adding water 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Make a large ball, place in a container and cover with cling wrap. Let it rest for at least an hour.
- In a floured board, divide the dough into 3 parts then using a rolling pin make a really long rectangle, brush top of rectangle with small amount of ghee. Now stating on the longer edge start rolling to form a rope, pick up the rope from one end and start coiling until it forms a small circle. Brush top again of circle with ghee then flatten it with a rolling pin, it should be thick as a coin. Do it for the remaining dough.
Dòushā Guō Bing
- Once pancakes are prepared, place them in freezer each separated by a cling wrap or wax paper. This makes handling really easy.
- Once frozen, remove from freezer one by one.
- Spread read bean paste on top of one pancake then place another pancake on top.
- Using a flat heavy pan, spray a bit of oil on top then cook until golden brown on each side.
- Do it the remaining dough.
- Once all cooked cut them into wedges then serve.