Monk Fish and Broccolini in Shiitake and Black Bean Sauce, a simple fish and vegetable dish stir fried and flavoured with salt brined black beans, nice to pair with freshly steamed rice.
- 500g monk fish fillet, cut into medium sized cubes
- 6 pcs dry shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated (keep soaking water)
- 1 bunch broccolini
- 2 tbsp salted black beans
- 2 tbsp black bean sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup corn-starch
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 thumb sized ginger, minced
- 1 shallot
- fish sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- peanut oil
- Boil one litre of water then place in a heatproof bowl together with broccolini, soak for 2 minutes then rinse with ice cold water.
- Place corn-starch in a plate then drench fish to coat lightly
- Heat up oil in a wok and shallow fry fish quickly on each side until it becomes golden brown, it will take around 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- In the same wok where fish is fried sauté garlic, shallot and ginger.
- Add mushrooms and stir fry for a minute.
- Add water, black bean sauce, soy sauce, sugar and black beans bring to a boil.
- Add fish and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the broccolini and simmer for 1 more minute.
- Flavour with fish sauce and season with freshly ground black pepper.