Chicken Gumbo is a dish made out of chicken meat slowly stewed in a spice infused stock seasoned with vegetables and finished with okra as the thickener.
- 700g boneless chicken thighs, sliced into 2 in cubes
- 300g okra, sliced
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 3 pcs green finger chillies
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 4 pcs Spanish chorizo, sliced
- 6 pcs large tomatoes, chopped
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 2 tbsp oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper, heat oil in a pot then brown chicken pieces. Once browned remove chicken then set aside.
- Using the same pot, sauté garlic and onion.
- Add celery and continue to stir fry.
- Sprinkle oregano, paprika, cumin.
- Pour chicken stock on the pot, bring to a boil then add tomatoes and chicken on top. Simmer in low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add chorizo then simmer in low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add okra, then simmer for an additional 10 – 15 minutes or until the okra is soft and cooked.
- Season with salt and pepper, then enjoy with rice.