Sizzling Teriyaki Squid is a simple dish made out of grilled squid served on a rich teriyaki sauce, it can be enjoyed as a mains or even matched with an ice cold beer as a side dish.
- 2 large fresh squid with tentacles, cleaned and scored
- toasted sesame seeds
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 3 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp cornstarch, dissolved in 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 4 tbsp brown sugar (adjust sweetness according to your liking)
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 thin slices of ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 small onion (don’t chop)
- In a sauce pan mix all ingredients together except for the cornstarch and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add cornstarch mixture, simmer until the consistency is thick.
- Remove ginger and onion from the sauce, and then set aside.
- Prepare a sizzling plate by placing it on stove top on high heat.
- Cook squid in a grill for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Remove sizzling plate from the stove top.
- Place squid on sizzling plate then pour sauce on top. Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds then serve while sizzling hot.
If you don’t have time to make your own teriyaki sauce at home you can buy ready-made ones in Amazon
This would look and taste a lot better without the starch. The sugar is enough to thicken it
Oh my: can’t wait to get to a fish market where I can buy the whole ‘box and dice’! I love squid but have not cooked it whole like this and I simply cannot understand why!!! Can’t WAIT to make!! Look at the food elegance on the plate! And I can taste it way ahead . . . 🙂 !
We love teriyaki salmon, but have never considered it with squid. Fab idea, squid now on shopping list.
I haven’t had squid for quite a while! This recipe made me crave for squid!
Teriyaki sauce can be so versatile and once again you’ve proven it’s versatility by making a seafood (squid) recipe. Yum! Love the action shot!
I really love eating sizzling teriyaki squid. Although we use squid stuffed with chopped tomatoes and onions, it helps to bring out all the flavors from the sauce to the squid.