Kangkong with Bagoong one of the most frugal dishes in the Philippines yet loved by a lot, its a simple blanched water spinach served with sweet style fermented shrimps.
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 small shallot
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 6 tbsp raw shrimp bagoong
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- freshly ground black pepper
- pork lard
- Kangkong leaves and some stalks
- Sautéed Bagoong
- (you can buy this in bottles as your Asian Supermarket or make you own, instructions below)
- Fried Garlic
- In a wok add pork lard and sauté garlic and shallots, fry until it becomes golden brown.
- Add raw bagoong, vinegar, cayenne and sugar. Stir fry for 3-5 minutes or until it turns dark red in colour.
- Season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Blanch the kangkong pieces and drain using a colander.
- Place in a plate topped with Sautéed Bagoong and fried garlic.