This Guava and Cream Cheese Pastry is quite easy to make specially when you have a ready made guava jam, just place it in the middle of prepared flaky pastry then bake and enjoy.
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- approx. 80g cream cheese
- approx. 700g red guavas, skin on and trim ends
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 cups + 3 tbsp water
- In a sauce pan combine 1/2 cup sugar, guavas and 3 cups water, bring to a boil and simmer in low heat for 40 minutes.
- Using a sieve drain guavas reserving liquid, while draining mash guavas using a big spoon to extract liquid. This process will push some soft guava flesh in the surface below the sieve scrape this off and mix it together with the liquid.
- Place liquid back on the saucepan in medium heat and further reduce liquid to roughly 1 1/2 cups.
- Reduce heat to low, dilute cornstarch in 3 tbsp of water then combine with the guava liquid, you can also add more sugar to suit your taste. Once it thickens remove from heat then set aside.
- Prepare your pastry but cutting them both in the middle crosswise, this will leave you 4 rectangular pastry sheets.
- Place 2 pastry sheets in a baking paper lined baking tray then spread cream cheese on the middle of each pastry, leave 1 inch border on all sides.
- Place guava paste on top of the cream cheese.
- Brush edges with beaten eggs.
- Prepare the remaining 2 pastry sheets by folding them in half lengthwise, cut slits on the pasty 1 cm apart and leaving a space on the creased edge to hold them together. Unfold the pastry and place on top of prepared pastry.
- Press edges with fork to seal then brush top with remaining beaten eggs.
- Bake in a 220C preheated oven for 10 minutes, then bring down heat to 200C and bake for 20 more minutes or until pastry is puffed up and golden brown.
- Let it cool down before serving.