Baked Barbecue Pork Buns
Last weekend I was looking for something to make for a snack, when I was scouring the freezer I saw some leftover steamed barbecue pork bun fillings which I made a couple of days ago, I prepared the ingredients like the way I did in an earlier post but forgot I did not have enough dumpling flour so I ended up with this excess. So instead of throwing it away I thought of reusing it but I don’t want to prepare steamed barbecue pork buns again so I decided to make a baked version.
Baked Barbecue Pork Buns are very common in Chinese yum cha, if you are not familiar with it but have dined in a Chinese restaurant chances are you might have seen this and was wondering what is that shiny baked bread with sesame seeds on top is, well this is it. It is similar to the steamed variant as they share the same filling they just differ on the cooking method. So if you want to try this one out here is the recipe, please also take note that I don’t have the exact ingredients for the filling as I used some leftovers form the steamed barbecue pork bun that I made, you can use that as a reference just adjust it for 6 to 8 servings, also take note that the baked variant contains more filling than the steamed variant.
- 2¼ tsp yeast
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup milk
- ½ cup hot water
- 2 cups plain flour + lots for dusting
- 1 egg, beaten
- sesame seeds
- Mix together hot water and sugar, continuously stir until dissolved
- Add yeast and mix until dissolved.
- Mix in oil and milk.
- Add flour, mix thoroughly then knead in a floured board until it’s not sticky on the hands, place in an oiled bowl, cover tightly with cling wrap then let is rise for at least an hour or until it doubled its size.
- Remove from container then knead again on a floured board for roughly 3 minutes, divide into 6-8 balls.
- Flatten each ball and place 2 spoonful of the meat mixture, gather all sides and seal. Place on a well-greased baking pan with seal on the bottom side. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Set aside filled buns and let it rise for 15-20 minutes then bake in a 200C preheated oven for 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven then brush top with beaten eggs, put back in oven then bake for again 3 minutes.
- Remove from oven then brush top with honey and sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Bake again for 3 minutes.
- Remove from oven the brush again with honey then bake again for 5 minutes.