Honey Ricotta Filo Turnovers, this crispy pastry filled with warm smooth ricotta covered with sweet honey, a perfect simple baked snack partnered with tea or coffee.
- 6 sheets filo pastry
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp honey, plus more for serving
- In a bowl combine together ricotta cheese, brown sugar, vanilla extract, lemon zest and egg.
- In another bowl combine together butter and honey.
- Lay one sheet of filo pastry on a clean work surface, brush top with the honey mixture. Lay another sheet on top of the prepared pastry then brush again with honey mixture, repeat procedure until you have three sheets on top of each other.
- Equally divide and cut into four long strips, place two tablespoons of the ricotta mixture at the end and fold gently the pastry similar to folding a flag. Try to enclose the filling in the first triangle layer. Once done place on baking paper lined tray and repeat with the remaining sheets.
- Bake in a 170c preheated oven for 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven then serve warm with honey on the side.
So flakey, so light and so beautiful. I love the look of that flakey light crumb and the little shards of filo. Perfect maximum flavour without the maximum fuss!
Looks easy to make with the ready made phyllo.I should give it a try and I bet the crust is flaky.Thanks for sharing the recipe.
In Russia/CIS fresh cheese, sugar and cream is served for breakfast. Yours is the convenient easy to eat version:)
cheese and honey filling sounds a great combination,
savoury and tangy won’t ever failed
These look delicious
These look like they have gorgeous texture and a lovely, comforting flavour.
Look at those airy, pillowy, crispy, cute little thingies 🙂
Super useful recipe 🙂 Can’t wait to try it out 🙂
I always have containers of half used ricotta. This is brilliant!
I am reading this post after a heavy Indian lunch and I just want to reach in to your photo and take a bite for a nice sugar rush to keep me awake – they would be just perfect !
wow those sound delish!