Honey Ricotta Filo Turnovers, this crispy pastry filled with warm smooth ricotta covered with sweet honey, a perfect simple baked snack partnered with tea or coffee.
- 6 sheets filo pastry
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp honey, plus more for serving
- In a bowl combine together ricotta cheese, brown sugar, vanilla extract, lemon zest and egg.
- In another bowl combine together butter and honey.
- Lay one sheet of filo pastry on a clean work surface, brush top with the honey mixture. Lay another sheet on top of the prepared pastry then brush again with honey mixture, repeat procedure until you have three sheets on top of each other.
- Equally divide and cut into four long strips, place two tablespoons of the ricotta mixture at the end and fold gently the pastry similar to folding a flag. Try to enclose the filling in the first triangle layer. Once done place on baking paper lined tray and repeat with the remaining sheets.
- Bake in a 170c preheated oven for 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven then serve warm with honey on the side.