Beef Gyros is a Greek dish made out of roasted beef cooked on a vertical spit wrapped in a flat bread together with vegetables, spices and different types of sauces.
Greek Style Flat Bread
- 1 kg roasting beef (pick the ones with lots of marbling)
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 4 stalks parsley, chopped
- 3 large onions, 2 quartered and 1 sliced
- olive oil
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1/2 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp dried parsley,
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Combine all spice mix ingredients together in a bowl then pour it over the roasting beef. Let it marinate for at least 6 hours.
- Preheat oven at 190C, rest the beef rump in room temperature for an hour before cooking.
- Place beef on an oven rack with the fatty side up then place quartered onions on the top of the roast.
- Roast for 30 minutes at 190C then lower the heat to 100C and cook for 3 hours.
- Carve the roast into flakes. Then set aside.
- Now to prepare each flat bread by heating it up in a non-stick pan.
- Spread tzatziki and 2 aioli in the middle part of the flat bread according to your liking.
- Add carved meat, chopped lettuce, sliced tomatoes, sliced onions and chopped parsley.
- Roll the wraps, then serve.