Celebrate it by serving an Iconic American dish the “Apple pie”, nothing gets American as this. I guess everyone would know what an Apple pie is but to further describe it, it is a fruit pie that uses Bramley or Granny Smith apples then often served with whipped cream or ice cream on top.
- 2 pcs flaky pastry sheets
- 8 pcs Granny Smith apple, peeled and sliced
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tbsp cream
- Mix all ingredients apart from the flaky pastry sheets together by hand until apples are evenly coated.
- Place crust into the bottom of a 9 in round baking pan, place filling on top mounding slightly then cover it with the remaining dough using a lattice pattern.
- Mix egg wash ingredients together then brush it on the pastry.
- Place in a 190C preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 170C then bake for additional 40 minutes. Remove from oven and let it cool and stand for at least an hour before serving.