- 3.5 ounces fen si
- 2 ounces bean sprouts
- 4 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 2 tsp canola oil, divided
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp oyster sauce
- 4 oz low-sodium chicken broth
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Soak the fen si in hot tap water for 10 minutes, then drain and set aside. Don’t use boiling water, which would overcook the noodles and make them mushy.
- Heat a wok or skillet with high sides over high heat, then add a teaspoon of canola oil. Swirl to coat the wok with the oil. You might need more oil if your cookware is not nonstick. Add the shrimp, cooking for about 1 minute, flipping them halfway, just until they are pink and cooked through. Move the shrimp to a plate and set aside. Add the bean sprouts and stir-fry for 1 minute, then move them to the plate with the shrimp.
- Add the other teaspoon of oil, then add the carrots and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the garlic and stir-fry for another 30 seconds.
- Add the fen si, soy sauce, sesame oil, black pepper, oyster sauce, and chicken broth. Stir for 3 minutes, until the noodles absorb the broth and the fen si is tender but still firm. Return the bean sprouts to the wok and toss everything together.
- Serve the noodles in bowls topped with the shrimp. Garnish with cilantro.