This Apple Cider Braised Pork is a good example of a perfect savoury sweet combination, the tangy sweet apple sauce that coats the tender pork pieces is a match made in heaven.
- 800g thick cut pork shoulder chops
- 1 stick celery, thinly sliced
- 2 pcs granny smith apples, peeled, sliced and cored
- 500ml apple cider
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp dried sage
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- freshly ground black pepper
- Season pork with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a wide heavy pan which you can cover, lie pork flat then brown both sides, remove from pan then set aside.
- Add onions, garlic and celery, stir until onions caramelizes. This will take around 8 minutes.
- Place back the pork then add the cider, honey, sage and apples. Cover pan then simmer very gently for 1 hour add water if needed.
- Remove from pan and place pork pieces on a plate leaving the sauce. At this stage apples are dissolved into the sauce.
- Simmer the sauce for 5 minutes then season it with salt and pepper. If sauce is too thick adjust it with water.
- Pour sauce on top of plate then serve.