Mushroom soup or Cream of mushroom soup is a simple soup made out of basic roux thinned with cream of milk then flavoured with mushrooms. A relatively easy soup to make yet it packs a flavourful punch hence it is not just enjoyed as a soup but it can be used as a base ingredients in several dishes.
- 200g farmers brown mushrooms, sliced
- 150g portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups fresh milk
- 1/2 cup cream
- 3 tablespoons flour (or you can adjust to the consistency you desire)
- 1/2 brown onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- In a pot, melt half of butter in low heat. Sauté garlic and onions.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes. Remove mushrooms from pan then set aside.
- Add the remaining butter over the pan then sprinkle flour over pan and mix.
- Add chicken broth to deglaze, then add milk. Bring to a boil then simmer in low heat for 15 minutes.
- Place mushrooms in a blender and add a small amount of the creamy broth. Blend until mushrooms are finely chopped.
- Pour blended mushrooms in the pan and simmer for additional 15 minutes.
- Add cream and nutmeg then simmer for 5 more minutes
- Then finally, season with salt and pepper.