Lelot Balatong or Guninataang Monggo is a type of Rice porridge mixed with mung beans cooked in coconut milk. A popular Filipino dish which is commonly served during merienda (afternoon tea).
- In a pan add mung beans, place in medium heat and toast until brown. Once all toasted set aside to let it cool.
- Using a food processor, lightly pulse mung beans just enough to crack it open and not pulverize it. If you don’t have a food processor you can use mortar and pestle to crack the mung beans.
- Using a pot pour half of the coconut milk and water then bring it to a boil.
- Add the glutinous rice and mung beans then stir, cook in very low heat for 20 minutes stirring occasionally and adding water if needed. Once liquid is absorbed by the rice and mung beans and mixture becomes thick add the remaining coconut cream and sugar, stir and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Serve hot with extra coconut milk for topping.