Guisadong Upo at Sardinas
Guisadong upo is one of the sautéed vegetable dishes popular in Philippines more commonly on provinces where bottle gourds are abundant. We had posted something similar like this and it uses pork as its main ingredient but today this dish is even more frugal as we will be using sardines. This is a fairly common dish in the Philippines especially for the budget concerned families as it ticks all the boxes: tasty, cheap and nutritious. During my time I guess the whole dish might cost only Php 10.00 which was barely US$ .20c that time and it can feed a whole family.
How about you do you have some budget friendly meals that you can share?
- 1 large can sardines in Tomato Sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 big bottle gourd (about 15 inches in length), sliced 1 cm thick and 5 cm wide
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Sauté garlic and onion
- Add the sliced bottle gourd, stir fry for 4 minutes
- Add sardines and cook for 1 minute.
- Add chicken stock, salt and sugar and simmer for 4 minutes
- Season with pepper and serve