Crispy pata is one of the all-time Filipino favourite dishes usually is served in special occasions; it has a similar reputation as a lamb leg roast or Thanksgiving turkey in the Western World.
- 2–3 pcs large pork legs, get the fatty one this is essential for the crackling
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup fish sauce
- 1.5 litres Sprite
- 2 tbsp baking soda
- 1 whole garlic, minced
- 1 whole onion, quartered
- 2 tbsp ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp rock salt
- 6 pcs bay leaves
- Combine soy sauce, fish sauce, sprite, garlic, baking soda, salt in a deep pot.
- Now soak the pork leg into the mixture, pierce the skin multiple time with knife to let the marinade seep through.
- Marinate for at least 24 hours turning to the other side after 12 hrs.
- Now using the same pot with everything on it (marinade and pork), place in a stove top add the onions and bay leaves and bring to a boil and cook for 1.5 hour.s
- Let the meat cool for at least an hour, then place in a fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Remove from fridge then prepare a deep fryer or deep pot with cover. Heat oil in your chosen vessel and once it’s near to its smoking point using long tongs while holding the one you will use for cover, pick the cold pork leg and drop it on the hot oil. Cover the pot immediately as it will splatter violently; cook until skin becomes really crunchy and golden brown.
- Remove from pot/deep fryer then serve.
- Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl