Crispy Five Spice Pork Ribs are twice deep fried marinated pork ribs, I am not sure where this dish originated but I had tried it in several Chinese restaurants here in New Zealand.
- 1 1/2 kg pork spare ribs, separated into individual rib
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 tbsp Five Spice Powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup Chinese cooking wine
- Combine together marinade ingredients, mix well then set aside.
- Pat dry the pork ribs, place on a container then pour marinade. Make sure each rib is coated evenly. Marinate for 6 hours.
- Place rib on a flat surface, place cornstarch in a fine sieve then sprinkle cornstarch on one side, turn over then sprinkle the remaining cornstarch on the other side.
- Prepare a deep fryer or a large wok filled with oil, once oil is hot deep fry ribs in batches. Deep fry for 10 minutes.
- Let ribs cool off before deep frying for the second time, once it cools down deep fry the ribs again for 8-10 minutes or until crispy.
- Place in a paper lined plate to remove excess oil, and then serve.