Patatim is a Filipino-Chinese dish which is made out of slowly braised pork leg cooked similar to Paksiw but without the vinegar. This dish is very popular in Authentic Chinese food establishments in the Philippines such as the restaurants and even hawker stalls in Binondo.
- 2 pcs small pork legs, cut into 1 1/2 inch thick pieces
- 4 pcs cardaba bananas, sliced
- 1 cup banana blossoms
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 4 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 3 1/2 cups pork stock
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch, dissolved in 1/2 cup water
- fish sauce (adjust the amount according to your liking)
- 2 pcs star anise
- 4 pcs bay leaves
- 2 tsp peppercorn
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 whole garlic, minced
- peanut oil
- In a pot, brown garlic in peanut oil.
- Add pork leg and brown on all sides.
- Now add all of the remaining ingredients, apart from the banana blossoms and plantain bananas.
- Bring to a boil and slowly simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hrs.
- Add the banana blossoms then simmer for additional 15 minutes.
- Add the plantain bananas then simmer for additional 15 minutes.