When I was in Hong Kong or even Malaysia I already saw this Pork Rib and Lotus Root Soup but never tried it, I was always intrigued on how did the lotus rot tasted primarily because of its eccentric looks. Then few years after I came here in New Zealand and finally tried it, if I can remember it right I had this for a couple of times thanks to my Chinese friend who always treat us in really good Chinese restaurants here.
- 1 kg pork ribs, cut into individual rib
- 200–250g lotus root, sliced
- 12–15 pcs dried pitted red dates
- 2 pcs dried squid
- 1 1/2 litres water
- 1 cup raw peanuts
- 2 large onions, peeled
- 1 tbsp peppercorns
- fish sauce (according to your liking)
- Bring a potful of water to a boil then add pork ribs, continue boiling for 5 minutes then drain. Rinse with running tap water to remove the scum attached to the meat. This will make sure your broth is clear.
- In a pot add all ingredients and bring to a boil, simmer for 45 to 60 minutes or until pork is tender.
- Discard the onions and dried squid, place in soup bowl then serve.