Bukayo is a sweet Filipino dessert / snack that originated from Lingayen, it is made by simmering coconut strips in a mixture of coconut water and sugar until liquid is heavily reduced, mixture is then formed into balls or flat circles and left to harden to a chewy consistency.
- 3 young coconuts
- 2 1/2 cups tightly packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 knot pandan leaves
- Cut young coconuts in half, reserve the water.
- Grate the coconut meat then set aside.
- Add small amount of oil in a wok then cook coconut strips until it turns slightly brown. Turn heat of then set aside.
- Boil together 1 cup coconut water and brown sugar until it’s heavily reduced into a thick consistency.
- Dissolve cornstarch in 1/4 cup of coconut water, set it aside
- Place the wok with coconut strips back to the stove in medium heat.
- Pour the sugar syrup and dissolved cornstarch then cook further until it becomes even thicker. You should be finished if you mixture can hold a firm shape.
- Turn heat to low then scoop out a spoonful of the mixture, shape it into a circle then place on top of a wax paper, do it with the remaining mixture then let it cool down to harden.